Skip to main content

Grateful Dead Live at Capitol Theater on 1970-11-06

Collection GratefulDead
Band/Artist Grateful Dead
Venue Capitol Theater
Location Port Chester, NY

Source Audience
Transferred by Teddy Goodbear

Notes

THE CAPITOL THEATER SHOWS -- NOV 5-8 1970

For this run of shows at the Capitol Theater (Nov. 5-8) the Dead played a
single concert each night from Thursday to Sunday. The Capitol Theater's
Village Voice ad for October 1 lists shows ("featurning NRPS") at 8:00 PM
on November 5th, 6th, 7th & 8th. In the ads for 10/29 and 11/5, ads
for the shows at the 46th St. Rock Palace in Brooklyn are prominent in
these same issues.

BAND Grateful Dead
VENUE Capitol Theater
CITY Port Chester
STATE NY
DATE 11/06/70
SET1 Total [24:19+]; Candyman [1:06]; fixing the monitors [1:37];
Candyman tuning & Candyman [4:16]; Uncle John's Band [1:25]; Uncle
John's Band [2:13]; tuning [1:50]; Attics Of My Life [5:23]; drums
& Phil* [6:30#]

SET2 Total [50:28+]; Don't Ease Me In [#3:09]; [0:09]; Deep Elem [5:51];
[1:27]; Dark Hollow [3:02]; [0:43]; Friend Of The Devil [3:36]; [1:31];
The Rub [2:57]; [0:42]; Black Peter [7:06]; [1:31]; El Paso [4:45**];
Brokedown Palace tuning** [1:11]; Brokedown Palace** [5:52]; Uncle John's
Band** [#5:41]

SET3 Total [:]; NRPS set

SET4 Total [79:30***]; Casey Jones [4:36]; [0:18]; Me & My Uncle [3:32]; King
Bee [6:45]; China Cat Sunflower [2:57] >; jam [3:05] >; I Know You Rider
[4:08]; Easy Wind [8:38]; Truckin [7:31]; Candyman [7:20]; [0:12] Sugar
Magnolia [7:20]; drums [0:31] >; Good Lovin [1:42] >; drums [4:17] >;
Main Ten drums [0:35] >; Main Ten [3:43] >; drums [4:10] >; Good Lovin
[8:40]

SET5 Total [56:44]; Alligator [3:29] >; drums [0:10] >; jam [10:39] >; Not
Fade Away [2:57] >; Goin Down The Road Feelin Bad [4:13] >; Mountain jam
[0:30] >; Not Fade Away [2:40] >; Caution [14:13] >; Lovelight [17:30];
[0:30]

Note - Most timings above are listed as per www.deadlists.com

COMMENTS SET 1 is the acoustic soundcheck. *Phil toys with the opening
lines to Cumberland Blues among various other songs.

SET 2 is the opening acoustic Dead set. The end of El Paso, Brokedown
Palace tuning, Brokedown Palace, Uncle John's Band & the NRPS set
that followed (aka - SET 3), did not circulate as of (2/98)**.

SET 4 is a electric Dead set. Eyewitness & AUD recorder David Tamarkin
says this set definetly ends with Good Lovin'. ***Does not include Easy
Wind, which is not on Teddy GoodBear's copies.

SET 5 is another electric Dead set. The first 3:10 of the jam after
Alligator is just Jerry & the drummers; this jam involves allusions to
Not Fade Away, Goin Down The Road, The Other One and Caution, but never
settles into any steady riff despite the drummers energetic efforts to
herd it into Not Fade from 7:30 on -- when they finally do slip into it
by the back door at 10:39 the effect is explosive. The dovetail into
Goin Down The Road 3 minutes later is as deft; this song features the
additional verse "Mama told me son don't go down there." There are
Caution hints in the transition from Mountain jam back to Not Fade.

Pigpen's harmonica is prominent early in Caution -- the jamming here is
over the top, more than a match for any show ever -- the segue into
Lovelight takes it from a roar to a whisper to a roar in 3 seconds. It's
hard to believe they didn't play an encore, or two.

There is no SBD master of this show in the vault.
From: Teddy GoodBear
To: Dave Tamarkin
Subject: Re: 11/6/70 & 8/17/70?
Date: Monday, February 14, 2000 12:41 PM

From:
: cassette master > cassette copy > my reel copy
: at 3-3/4 ips > your dat except for the small portion
: during the acoustic set with the quality difference,
: Brokedown and part of El Paso from my cassette master
: > my reel copy at 3-3/4 ips > your dat.

Who was the taper for both? Were you the taper for the small portion
"cassette master"? And do you know what equipment you or he or they used?

: I don't know if i go along with the 8/17/70 assumption.
: I have that also, never realized it was the same. it could
: be capitol, came off one of those tapes and
: the guy didn't do any trading. The mystery continues...

Is there more to what you have listed as 8/17/70? Can you compare the 2?

Teddy :^)

From: From:
Date: Tuesday, February 15, 2000 7:07 PM

I don't know the name of the guy who taped the bulk of that show, but he was
the infamous usher who's been mentioned for years. He did almost everyone who
played there but after a falling out with my friend, his brother in law, we
never got to dub most of his stash. What was gotten includes several dead, nrps,
janis, tuna, tull, allmans, delaney & bonnie, traffic & j.a. shows. He would
set up off the balcony with a mike spread. I have no idea what he used. that
small acoustic portion was mine on a panasonic portable, if memory serves.

What you have as 8/17/70 is the same as what i have. As i mentioned, it was on
one his tapes with no info. He didn't trade so we don't know where else it
could have been from.

hope this all helps.
Dave